What is fiber laser engraving? Well, if you have ever used a lens to make a fire, then you probably know that the lens focuses light from the sun and converts it into heat that can cause burning. Similarly, the fiber laser engraving machine generates strong light at the end of the fiber optic cable, and then generates a powerful laser beam. Then use this beam to engrave (or even cut) patterns on different materials.
The basic principle of laser marking is that a high-energy continuous laser beam is generated by a laser generator, and the focused laser acts on the printing material to instantly melt or even vaporize the surface material. By controlling the path of the laser on the surface of the material, it forms The required graphic mark.
Monport's fiber laser series are solutions for engraving and marking all types of bare metals and plastics. Whether you want to mark metal with barcodes, logos, and serial numbers, or personalize metal items such as watches, jewelry, and medals, The Monport fiber laser system has functions to help you achieve your goals.
Ⅰ. How to use a fiber laser engraver?
For almost all metals, fiber laser machines can provide readable marks quickly and efficiently. They are very suitable for engraving all types of metal surfaces. Examples include aluminum, anodized aluminum, steel, stainless steel, magnesium, lead, and zinc.
The fiber laser machine has low maintenance costs, does not use consumables, and can create high-contrast marks. You can use them to permanently mark data matrix codes, QR codes, serial numbers, bar codes, logos, etc.
How to use fiber laser marking machine? Below you can learn from Our Monport laser to get the operation procedure and the ways and some usage suggestions.
Step 1: Prepare your design
The first thing to do is to create the image to be engraved on the metal. Whether this is a photo or a vector image, it should be black and white or grayscale (if your laser supports it). This will give you insight into the appearance after engraving. A rule of thumb: if it doesn’t look good on the screen, it doesn’t look good on metal either. Scale the image to the desired size. Note that if you are engraving on a non-planar surface, you may need to perform some image. Finally, save your work in a format acceptable to the laser software.
Step 2: Clean the fiber machine
Use rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth to clean metal parts thoroughly. Remove all dust and grease from the surface. If corrosion or rust is formed on the metal surface, use some fine sandpaper to remove it. Some metals will not rust, but will form oxides on the surface. For example, copper will oxidize and form green patina, and aluminum will also oxidize and form a thin film on the surface. Ordinary ordinary carbon steel will rust. Dust and grease can interfere with laser focusing, while the melting temperature of metal oxide and rust is usually much higher than that of pure metal. If not cleaned properly, these stratums can interfere with the engraving process and cause quality degradation.
It is a good idea to wear gloves during cleaning and preparation so that the oil and grease on your hands will not contaminate the metal surface.
Step 3: Apply spray
Let your metal sheets dry for a few minutes before spraying. Before application, again make sure that the surface is completely clean. Use some masking tape to mark the boundaries of the surface you plan to engrave. Spray the engraving spray evenly on the metal surface. If you are using dry lubricating oil, please spray two or three coats, and then apply the next coat after each drying. Some sprays will produce better results than others. For example, you can use dry lubricating oil to engrave stainless steel and get good results. In either case, it is a good idea to perform some tests before engraving real objects.
Step 4: Adjust focus
Turn on the machine and prepare for engraving. Make sure you wear suitable safety glasses!
Put your metal parts into the machine and make sure to adjust the height of the laser correctly.
And then adjust the focus of the laser. If you want to laser engrave a flat piece of metal, everything is simple, so you can adjust the laser focus as usual.
The tricky part is if you want to engrave curved surfaces, such as pots or cups. In this case, you should find the lowest and highest points and adjust the focus in the middle. This step will require you to do some trial and error to find the focal point that best suits your machine.
Tip: Adjust the position of the metal piece you want to engrave and add some marks in the machine so that you can put it back in exactly the same position in case you need to take it off again.
Step 5: Engraving
Load the file in step 1 into the laser control software. As a starting point, you should set maximum power and low speed for best results. It may take trial and error to find the best settings for your machine and metal. If you are not satisfied with the first engraving, it may be that your laser is not powerful enough. If this is the case, try to run the same file in the same place two or three times.
Step 6: Finish，Enjoy your art work!
After the laser is completed, remove the metal sheet from the machine and clean it. You can use the previous rubbing alcohol and soft cloth to remove unused sprays and other residues on the metal parts. Aluminum and copper may be more difficult to engrave. If you are worried about the durability of the mark, you can apply a layer of sealant to protect it. (For metals that are easily oxidized, this is not a bad idea.)
Ⅱ. Your first try on fiber laser engraver
For the person who are new to this machine, they will think highly of the machine and also be afraid that he will damage it. So before we start, let’s say a few words of wisdom and some safety suggestion:
- The operating personnel must be trained to master the basic performance of the equipment proficiently.
- It is necessary to strictly follow the start-up procedure of the laser equipment to carry out safe operation. When performing laser work, wear anti-radiation glasses.
- When the laser marking machine is working, the operator cannot leave the post. If necessary, the power supply should be cut off in time to cut off all potential dangers.
- If an abnormal situation is found during processing, it should be reported in time and the laser equipment should be kept clean and tidy.
- We need to perform regular maintenance on the laser equipment. Generally, we will check and maintain it once a week, and carry out a major maintenance every six months, and we must always abide by the safety rules.
- Check whether there are any abnormalities after starting the machine, which should be checked carefully.
- When the laser equipment is working, we must pay attention to the operation of the machine to prevent the machine from going out of an effective stroke.
Ⅲ. What can we create with a fiber laser engraver?
(1) The rapid development of plaques, signs, and signs of urban public facilities, street renovations, modern residential quarters, hotels, and office buildings have generated a lot of demand for signs and guidance systems that meet international standards. Among them, carved plaques Signs, signs and signs occupy a considerable part. In order to establish a good corporate image and improve internal management, powerful companies have also replaced company plaques with engraved ones, and made breast badges and department badges in the form of engraving. Has long become a fashion trend.
(2) Architectural models, mechanical models, vehicle models, and ship model models are the oldest design tools. Modern society has given newer meanings and wider uses to models. It is no exaggeration to say that models are industrial Model. The performance and display of machinery, vehicles, ships, architectural design schemes, and the sale of commercial houses are all inseparable from models. The models themselves also have independent competitions, commemorations and collections and other activities and meanings. At present, the engraving machine that makes models more exquisite and faster has become the best helper for making models in all walks of life.
(3) Crafts, gifts, souvenirs, medals, certificates, souvenirs and advertising materials in more and more conferences and tourism activities are popularly produced by carving. Engraving on pens, leather goods, tableware, lighters, watches, bottle openers, key chains, trophies, award plates, imitation crystal ornaments, golf clubs, shotguns, rings and other items can reflect taste and personality. Boxes, pendants, mirror frames, silverware and other items are engraved with interesting carvings to cater to people's needs for emotional communication.
(4) Industrial processing China's output of building materials has ranked first in the world, and it is currently developing rapidly in the direction of improving quality and perfecting patterns and varieties. The engraving machine can easily and quickly produce a large number of exquisite molds for building decoration materials such as gypsum ceilings, ceramic tiles, floor tiles, and so on, so that the value of decorative materials processed by this mold is doubled. In countries with developed manufacturing industries, most of the surface marking of parts, the production of instrument panels, and the production of various signs, identification plates, work number plates, and production flow charts necessary for standardized management of enterprises, are mostly completed by engraving machines. According to foreign survey statistics, in developed industrial countries in Western Europe such as Germany and Switzerland, 2/3 of the engraving machines are used as machine tools in factories. China is becoming the "factory of the world", and it is believed that engraving machines will flourish and enter workshop after workshop in the land of China.
(5) Plexiglass technology and plexiglass processing
Plexiglass is one of the most ideal engraving materials, Plexiglas has excellent processability, and Plexiglas has always been an ideal material for testing equipment, models, POP advertising decorations, small decorations, artistic lamps, craft gifts, souvenirs, etc., engraving machines and plexiglass This intimate combination of good tools and good materials will inevitably produce a variety of excellent products.
Let us have a look at the Monport laser fiber marking machine!